Thursday 10 May 2012

Gather - Nikki Gabriel

I was really excited to have my first visit to a gorgeous new shop in Napier last week. It's called 'Gather' and is owned and operated by the very talented knitting guru, Nikki Gabriel. In all honesty, I am no knitter, and my sewing teacher at school used to wring her hands in frustration when I was around! But that didn't stop me from feeling like a kid in a candy store when I first stepped through the doors. Filled with luscious textures and colours, there are rolls and rolls of beautiful wool to choose from; knitting needles that are like little pieces of art; and lots of knitted homewares and accessories. My favourite things were the hot pink sofa and the yellow knitted light shade (sadly these were not for sale), but I also have my eye on a huge, chunky knit cushion, and some fingerless gloves, oh, and some of those knitting needles - just for decoration!















Nikki has a series of really cool knitting patterns called 'Construction' also for sale in Gather. They are designed to be made in stages by knitting shapes, then each shape is like a building block - create a small garment, then add another shape and it grows into a different garment - so clever! Nikki will be holding knitting workshops where you can choose a Construction pattern to make. Phone her on 835 1384 to register.

15 comments :

  1. Love the knitting needles. I feel the urge with winter approaching! Looks like a gorgeous shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have never known the shadow was knitted unless you told me, too cute! Guess knitting is longer for our grandmothers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vic, just want to say I love your logo! I'm also a graphic designer, whose interests have veered a wee bit off course into kids and renovating our home. I am adding your blog to my daily reads - it's nice to see some inspiring NZ content!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous store, I can't knit either but now I wish I could! xo K

    ReplyDelete
  5. A-ha...so you won't find that in Auckland! What a lovely shop. I imagine you could spend hours getting inspired in there. I really love the knitted cushions and even I know they would be quick and easy. Thanks Vic - I love seeing people doing things like this. Annie x.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous pink sofa and store! It's one of those places you can really browse and admire (even though I can't knit either despite my Mum's efforts to teach me) http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's fantastic when something new and gorgeous pops up in the local neighborhood! This one looks like a great find Vic :)

    Abbey x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love knitting so this store is my idea of heaven! It’s been years since I knitted anything but this has inspired me to dig out the needles and get creative!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like such a fun shop. I really like the large jars in the second image- which I would assume are for storing all of those colorful yarn balls.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a fabulous looking shop....wish it was closer, I have just taken up knitting again......but totally agree with you who cares if you knit anyway it all looks simply gorgeous just for a browse

    ReplyDelete
  11. The jars are for natural dyes, when the photo was taken they had not cleared quarantine. They create an amazing display now that the jars are full, there is more info on them here: http://nikkigabriel.blogspot.co.nz/2012/04/natural-dye-lab.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful post. I just discovered Gather this morning and have now crowned Tennyson Street my absolute favourite in the Bay!! (Exclamation marks can't even express my excitement). It all started with my old fav gym, and kept getting better! Go Tennyson, go Napier!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybe I have missed it, but can you please tell me where in napier this great looking shop is? I would love to go and visit it. The natural dyes really interest me as does all that gorgeous wool! Thanks for getting me this far...
    Edith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Edith, it's on Tennyson Street, just down from the new Maddison's shop. There is a hallway with the carpet shop on one side, Gather on the other, and Eva Bradley Photography down the back. You'll love it. x

      Delete

It's lovely to hear from you. Thanks for your comment. Best wishes, Vic xxx

Blogging tips